Buildings or structures in Longstone CC area that are designated as of special architectural or historic interest and/or ‘Listed’ by Historic Environment Scotland to require special treatment under the Planning Acts.
Slateford House, 53 Lanark Road: grade B. c. 1770. Photo below shows the crest above the main door of the adjoining building (1899) now incorporated into Slateford House (does anyone know what it represents?).
Slateford Secession Church (formerly) to rear of Slateford House at 45 Lanark Road: grade B. From 1785 but recast in 1826. Recently occupied by G Lang & Co,
Old Manse, Slateford, 45 Lanark Road: grade B (behind the above)
Cross Keys Inn, Slateford, 43 Lanark Road: grade B. 18th century. Linked to Slateford House (above) by a hall over a barber's shop and a battlemented gateway (both 1899, as above).
Millbank, 15 Redhall Bank Road: grade B. Mid 18th century.
8-10 Redhall Bank Road: grade B (Archt: Sir James Gowans, 1850s).
Inglis Bank, 4 Redhall Bank Road: grade B (Archt: Sir James Gowans, 1850s)
97 Lanark Road (former lodge): grade C(s) (Archt: Sir James Gowans)
Redhall Gardens (access from Lanark Road): grade B (see link on LINKS).
Union Canal Slateford Aqueduct over Inglis Green Road and the Water of Leith by Hugh Baird (engineer) 1818-22: grade B. In addition the whole Union Canal is a Scheduled Ancient Monument under the supervision of Historic Enviroment Scotland.
Slateford Railway Viaduct over Inglis Green Road, Gray's Mill Lade and Water of Leith by John Miller 1840-42: grade B.
Other buildings of note:
Troqueer (327 Lanark Road) by James Morris, c.1914. Since altered and extended.
Housing scheme (between Longstone Road, Longstone Park and Kingsknowe Road North) by Eric Hall & Partners, 1964-5. This site was previously occupied by a small square with two-storey old-fashioned flats around it called 'Maxwell's Close'. There was also a row of houses along Longstone Road called 'Maxwell's Buildings'.
Waterside Social Club (Masonic Lodge)
26A Inglis Green Road. Apparently built in 1913 by John Alexander Inglis (superior) for The Trustees for Public Hall and Institute for Inhabitants of Slateford, Longstone and adjacent District and Parish of Colinton. Building and grounds gifted on 10 June 1998 by Alexander Ballantyne, presumably one of the Trustees, to The Trustees for Lodge Water of Leith No. 1267. He is the Lodge secretary.